10 Principles of Effectiveness in Your Calling and LifE
Updated: Aug 1, 2019
1. Choose your environment and friends wisely.
a. “Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character.” 1 Corinthians 15:33
b. Read Chapters 22, 33 of Bridge the Gaps
2. A person’s greatness is determined by what it takes to discourage him/her.
a. “Dear brothers and sisters, is your life full of difficulties and temptations? Then be happy, for when the way is rough, your patience has a chance to grow. So let it grow, and don’t try to squirm out of your problems. For when your patience is finally in full bloom, then you will be ready for anything, strong in character, full and complete.” James 1:2-4
b. Read Chapters 26, 27, 28, 30 of Bridge the Gaps
3. Don’t venture past your sphere of knowledge until your sphere of knowledge exceeds your venture.
a. “Desire without knowledge is not good — how much more will hasty feet miss the way!” Proverbs 19:2
b. Read Chapters 7, 9, 16 of Bridge the Gaps
4. Work to achieve mastery of yourself and your craft.
a. “Do you see someone skilled in their work? They will serve before kings; they will not serve before officials of low rank.” Proverbs 22:29
b. Read Chapters 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 13, 14, 21, 24, 25 of Bridge the Gaps
5. Cultivate a vision and work hard to bring it into fruition.
a. “All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.” Proverbs 14:23
b. “Where there is no vision, the people perish.” Proverbs 29:18
c. Read Chapters 8, 20 of Bridge the Gaps
6. Talk less. Make less announcements and more adjustments.
a. “Like billowing clouds that bring no rain is the person who talks big but never produces.” Proverbs 25:14
b. Read Chapters 15 of Bridge the Gaps
7. Eliminate distractions and identify your focus.
a. “No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer.” 2 Timothy 2:4
b. Read Chapters 1, 12, 17, 29 of Bridge the Gaps
8. You don’t have to be great to get started but you have to get started to be great.
a. “Do not despise small beginnings.” Zechariah 4:10
b. Read Chapters 11 of Bridge the Gaps
9. Manage your priorities wisely.
a. “Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” Psalm 90:12
b. Read Chapters 18, 19, 23, 43 of Bridge the Gaps
10. Learn how to love yourself and others.
a. “Let your love abound in knowledge and depth of insight.” Philippians 1:9
b. Read Chapters 31 to 42 of Bridge the Gaps
See the Bridge the Gaps Chapter References that underscore each principle